Springboard

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams

Friday, December 02, 2005

My Advent Calendar

I opened my Advent Calendar today. (And got to eat not one, but two, tiny, waxy, not-really-real-chocolate chocolates.)

I know that many people feel Christmas has turned into just one big commercial gimmick to part us from our hard-earned money. And, these people have a valid point. But the holidays are still a magical time to me.

I hear Christmas carols on the radio, and my heart smiles. I see bright strings of lights illuminating dark streets, and I no longer care that it is dark when I leave for work, and dark again before I head home. Christmas trees and decorations, holiday baking, spiced wine and steaming apple cider, family traditions, festive parties and get-togethers, the hopeful excitement sparkling in children's eyes, snow softly falling from dark skies, candles flickering on tables laden with food, the anticipation of days of leisure after the frenetic rush of the first weeks of the month are over, the generosity of the season, time spent with loved ones...

The holiday spirit infuses everything. Or maybe it just infuses me, and I feel it coming through everywhere I go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home