Springboard

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams

Friday, November 25, 2005

Perspective

Yay - Exposed brick chimney a go!

I just got back from the Farmhouse, where the currently beloved Mike-the-furnace/chimney-dude took one look at the furnace and stated: "Sure, no problem. We'll just insert a liner into the chimney, and uhm, yeah. We can fix that all up and it will meet code." Then he proceeded to tell me that it would "only" be about $450 bucks for both materials and labour, and as part of that estimate, he will be fixing something that HAS to be done for my furnace to meet new inspection codes.

It all sounded great to me. As I drove away, it occurred to me that my perspective on what is expensive and cheap has altered quite a bit since undertaking this multi-thousand dollar project. If someone had told me that something would cost close to $500 a year ago, I would have thought that a big investment. Today, I beamed brightly at Mike and thought - wow, what a deal!

But the important point is: I can have exposed brick in my bedroom. Merveilleux!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home